Tuesday, March 2, 2010

(Over)ambitious sewing plans

Coming home to the mail yesterday was a real delight, because all of my sewing stuff arrived yesterday! How's that for good timing? I ordered much, much more fabric than I should have, especially given the amount that I have stashed away already. But somehow these things just have a way of getting out of hand.

It started with the Gorgeous Fabrics anniversary sale. I'd been eyeing up some wool crepe on there, and when it went on sale for 25% off that was just the incentive that I needed to buy. I bought the Colette patterns Rooibos dress a while back with my hemming income, and I loved the way that it was done up for the photo shoot so much that I wanted to make a navy/white version as well. Here's the fabric that I settled on:

A bright navy wool crepe, and an off-white Bemberg lining (the color is called "cool fluff"). I didn't want to go pure white, because I think that could end up being a little sailor looking. Isn't it super? I bought enough lining to make it fully lined, which I probably will do. I really want to make this dress up before my SO and I go away for our little NYC getaway weekend. Can't you just see me having high tea in this dress? Totally! I'm not sure if it's realistic to get this done before I go, but we'll see how it goes. I'm making a muslin for it now (in fact, my SO is on his way to the fabric store to pick up some interfacing for me. Don't you just hate it when you have everything you need but interfacing?).

While I was at Gorgeous Fabrics, I also had to shop around at least a little and see what else they had. I somehow always manage to talk myself into this based on the shipping costs... like if I'm going to spend eight bucks on shipping anyway, then I might as well stock up. Hoarder mentality at work there. Anyway, I ended up picking up a bright red stretch cotton twill, which I thought would be perfect for the Beignet skirt (again, loving the way it was done up on the website). The only flaw in that plan was that I didn't actually have the pattern for that skirt, so I had to hop on over and get that one, along with the Chantilly pattern.

I picked up lining for both of these projects on Fabric.com, which has officially become my new go-to store for cheap-ish fabrics. I used to buy stuff at Denver Fabrics because they have a great selection and stuff is cheap, but every time I've shopped there, something weird has happened -- they lose my package, they don't have a fabric in stock and neglect to tell me so I open up the box and it's just not there, it takes foreeeeever to get here, etc. I'm officially done with them now, because Fabric.com is equally as cheap, has free shipping over $35, and often has great coupons (I used a 25% off coupon for this order). So there, Denver Fabrics.

I got a hot pink stretch satin for the lining on the Beignet. I do hope this ends up looking decent on me, because it could very well make me look like I'm about four feet tall. Hard to tell without trying it, though, so I'm just going to dive in and see if I can make it work. It looks great on so many other people that it can't look that bad on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment